Sunday, November 1, 2009

Caribou, Soda, and Junk Food

I really enjoyed this week’s reading because I could recall many experiences teaching where food direclty impacts my students and school. I’ve had experiences both in urban situations and suburban situations; while they share many similarities, I think there are some vast differences in the role food plays in their culture. I was very suprised that Walker and White mentioned eating disorders also becoming an urban problem, as my immediate thought on eating disorders turns to white suburban teenage girls. I think urban and low-income students have many other factors that impact their health. I feel very fortunate that I grew up in a household where family dinners were the norm. However, the busier Americans get, our health and ability to experience a healthy lifestyle suffers. I’m excited to share many of my thoughts and ideas in this blog.



In my experience teaching in an affluent suburban middle school, popular coffee drinks play a large role in making you “popular.” I admit, I would get my share of coffee in the morning to make it through the school day. With a coffee shop at almost every corner, it's hard to resist. Many times, I would run into my students grabbing a coffee with their parents! Caffeine addiction is starting in middle school. I recall many situations where girls would come strolling to school with a Caribou Coffee in their hand, begging me to let me finish it during first hour class! Many of these girls sported a Caribou Coffee in hand like an accessory. Ironically, these were also the girls concerned with their weight. Many of the girls reminded me of the image of MaryKate Olson with a thin body and coffee in hand. At lunch time, these girls would not eat healthy foods, but choose the fries or pizza at lunch and only pick at it!


Walker and White commented, “If girls come to school hungry, they will not develop to their full potential. When you are hungry, your powers of concentration are not sharep; your attention span is short.” (139) I feel that our education system and culture fails to teach young women about proper nutrition and diet. Many young girls today watch “America’s Next Top Model” and are influenced by the stick-think models. White and Walker stated, “Images of thin, beautiful, and successful women are constantly bombarding us, implying that while being thin begets love and success, being fat, or even average to large, leads to one being unloved, unwanted, and unworthy.” (131)

So what can change this? Do plus-size models have a place in our society? Many “plus-size” (which is really size 10 or 12; the average size of American women) models have been featured in magazines and on the show “America’s Next Top Model.” When they do make the cover of a magazine, the media makes a huge announcement about it as if it’s out of the ordinary to be normal size. I recall when Glamour Magazine featured 20-year-old model Lizzi Miller. I think it was fantastic that Glamour Magazine recognized and appreciated what most women look like. I only wish that this wouldn’t be considered a special feature but be seen regularly in all magazines. Perhaps if the media would show images of normal looking young girls, it would also become the norm for young teens. Perhaps if young girls saw women looking healthy AND happy on the front covers, they would not become overly concerned with being thin themselves….we can only hope.


Soda also played a large role in school. The previous school I taught at banned caffeine drinks in the soda machines. Interestingly enough, I remember the day in which I caught my favorite students selling special edition "Mountain Dew Game Fuel" from his locker for $5 a can! I took it from him and said that he can “look for it on e-bay!” More and more, kids have become addicted to soda and energy drinks and this has a direct impact on their school. They become hyper and wild in class from drinking it, and then by the afternoon crash and become droggy and tired. In addition, these energy drinks and soda can have a direct impact on obesity. Although the school can take a stand on soda and candy by banning it from machines, kids will still find a way to have it.

I have also been very much interested in the Documentary series titled “Unnatural Causes” which looks at how where you live predicts your health. Research shows that those living in urban settings lack the resources to find healthy food options. Within the average urban neighborhood, the only available options are fast food, which has significantly contributed to the health of people of low-income, immigrants, and minorities. If kids want something to eat, their only option is the processed junk food from the local gas station. As a result, school has often become the place where youth receive a healthy meal through free and reduced lunch programs. While cities fail to provide adequate policies about fast-food restaurants within a certain area, schooling and education have to step in and provide for students. Unnatural Causes


Assignment Ideas


When I taught history, I often talked about the role food played during World War II. I discussed invention of SPAM and how it replaced meat for the soldiers. Most importantly, I discussed WWII Victory Gardens and how women and children contributed to the war effort through gardening. I think that organic and locally grown products are making a comeback....slowly but surely. I am very impressed that our First Lady Michelle Obama has brought Victory Gardens back! She has created a community garden at the white house to teach young school children about gardening as well as providing organic food for the White House.


I also think another way to incorporate food into lessons is to explore hunger through a service-learning project. This would be appropriate on both a local and global level. Kids should understand why hunger exists in their own communities and solve ways to prevent it. I think for a geography class, it would be ideal to explore food distribution across the world and explore why there is an inequality of food and resources. In an economics class, kids could try to balance a family household budget and determine the difficult choices some people are forced to make in providing healthy meals to their families. Local Twin Cities Organizations such as 2nd Harvest Heartland and Feed My Starving Children do a great job in educating volunteers about hunger and how kids can help reduce it.

7 comments:

  1. An interesting post here, Gina. I appreciate your comments about how coffee drinks have become an accessory for many young students. I'm unsure if the body conscious truly understand the sugar and calories those drinks contain. Further, should we be worried about caffeine dependence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina,

    I really liked your mention of caribou and pop. Personally I have gone through times where all I would drink was mello yellow and maybe some crackers on busy days between work and class and I soon realized how addicted I was to pop. I know rarely drink either of those two things but prefer tea. I also liked how you brought up women’s body issues. I think as a young woman, it is hard to not be self conscious, I know I struggle with it personally. Lastly, I would like to say your interest in “Unnatural causes” is a good thing and students should watch it, it really changed my perspective of how food really is important to our daily lives along with our environment.

    -Mady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina-
    I also liked your thoughts about "plus sized" models and how they are really 'regular sized.' And how shows like ANTM and magazines make a big deal about when they use these women on their covers. I agree that if more magazines and designers would keep in mind everyday women, the eating disorders might not be as big of an issue.

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina,

    I really, really enjoyed reading through your post on food and popular culture here :) I'd like to take a moment to speak to the commentary that you make about "designer" coffee drinks (of course Starbucks, Caribou, Dunn Bros., and the like) as types of popularity markers as you put it.

    Back in high school, my girlfriend at the time and friends would get up just crazy early nearly every day of the week to get a coffee and hang out at Caribou prior to school (and we're talking like 3$ a coffee even back then, so not cheap!). As ridiculous as it sounds, I remember walking around with my stupid coffee cup, feeling that the cup and brand gave me almost an air of sophistication over my peers... How ridiculous is this? In fact, my father always used to suggest going to the gas station to get 10x the coffee for 1/3 of the price, which I of course wouldn't do because the Caribou "designer" coffee meant something different and more to me than Holiday's gas station coffee.

    Overall, this is very interesting to me as the Dunn Bros. near my home where I do 90 percent of my work has also become a teenage hangout. And I'm not saying that this is all bad because it 1.) offers students a safe place to hangout before and after school (and I know the owners who are great contributers to the community and education), and as ridiculous as this sounds it 2.) keeps kids out of troube! But, as you discuss, I really wonder what this "coffee culture" is teaching students... As you state, it is definitely getting them hooked on caffeine at a young age. But what else is it teaching them? I would argue DEFINITELY brand loyalty and recognition. I would also argue it teaches them to be walking ads (how is walking around with a Dunn Bros. cup in hand really any different than wearing Hollister Co. clothing?).

    Overall, great post, and you've given me a lot to think about. In fact, I wonder if there has been any formal research done on "coffee shop culture." I should check this out :)

    Keep rockin'

    -Rick Filipkowski

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these great comments -- it feels like a party at your blog! It was a very fun read! Glad I came and joined in.

    Wanted to say there' a local organization called Kids Against Hunger that does field trips for kids to package meals for Africa. Great place.

    Also wanted to thank you for reminding me about Unnatural Causes (PBS). Great resource.

    I very much appreciate your examples of how you've incorporated food into your history classes. It made me wonder about how you did/do that -- that is, how hard is it for you to make that sort of adaptation to what I have always imagined as a fairly well dictated structure and topics (given standardized testing).

    Anyways, thanks for all the food for thought (hehe) .

    g/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina,
    Great blog, you had many great insights and personal experiences to attach to your writings. I hear you about teen age girls and eating disorders. If they are worrying about a rumbling stomach, how can they learn ANYTHING in the school day?! Sorry to all of you pop lovers, but I read somewhere that pop actually eats away at the enamal of your teeth! So think about all of those teenage kids sucking down pop for their caffine fix to make it through the school day (rather than drink milk or water for a healthy choice) but should we be blaming the schools for having the pop vending machines just to make an extra buck????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina,

    Thank you for your post with many pictures. I quit smoking 27 years ago and became somewhat hooked on coffee afterwards and then switched over to black tea, now sometimes green tea. I am sure I am somewhat caffiene addicted. At least I hear that both coffee and tea have antioxidants and in my case its better than smoking cigarettes.

    I think getting more connected with food in planting, growing, tending a garden, and then harvesting, cleaning and preparing, canning foods from a garden can help people reconnect with laboring and working to make a meal a reality. All that is missing in many people's experience today, and many things are added or subtracted from our foods in processing before we even get a chance to know it before consuming it.

    Thank you for an interesting read and reflection,

    John

    ReplyDelete