Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pop Culture Lesson Plan

Lesson for History/Government ClassAdapted and used from AssociatedContent

Objectives:
-Students will identify the difference between a war and massacre
-Students will interpret the meaning of “Ohio” by Crosby, Stills, Young, and Nash
-Students will compare and contrast the Kent State Massacre with the Boston Massacre
-Students will understand and analyze the importance of the Boston Massacre and the role the -media played in the event.

Listen to and analyze the song “Ohio” by Crosby, Stills, Young, and Nash. Questions to ask students:
-What is this song about?
-What can you infer is happening?



Read article on Kent State Massacre with students and ask the following questions:
-Who was brought in to control the protesters?
-How many students died?
-Why were they shot?
-What happened to the guardsman?
-Why was this a significant event?

Read background on Boston Massacre and analyze picture.
-Where is Captain Preston, the British commander?
-What is he doing? Where are the troops?
-What are they doing?
-Describe the crowd—its size, composition, and location.
-What is the crowd doing?
-What time of day is it?
-How do you think Paul Revere intended his viewers to understand the event?

Final Reflection:
Compare and Contrast the Boston Massacre with the Kent State Massacre by using a Double Bubble Map.

-What role did the media play in the events?
-How important was the Boston Massacre?

2 comments:

  1. Gina, thanks again for having me in your chat group tonight, I had a lot of fun.

    Did you take Professor Swiss's CI 5472 media class? I ask because this post is right up that ally of exploring how the popular media helps construct our understanding of events. As for this particular activity, my only concern is the degree to which students will identify with the Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young song that you talk about for this assignment. Although I'm a huge fan of their music, and although I don't doubt the effectiveness of the particular piece you chose, I would be concerned that students wouldn't have the right frame of reference to make work with this text meaningful. What are your thoughts on this? I'm just thinking back to our chat tonight where we discussed the point of relevancy so nicely. I'm wondering how relevant this piece of music is to them? I'm also wondering if there is a piece of even more contemporary pop culture that is even more relevant.

    Overall, great assignment. What are your thoughts?

    Thanks again!

    -Rick Filipkowski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Rick. I'm open to any new contemporary songs that would fit understanding of the Boston Massacre. I guess I didn't explain the background of the lesson in my post. In class we talked about the difference between "war" and a "massacre" and how the Boston Massacre led to the separation of Great Britain and led to the Declaration of Independence.

    With a massacre, we talked about the how the Kent State Massacre was similar into this and how protests/rallies can be peaceful and fit into First Amendment rights, etc.


    Would probably change things around if I was teaching history rather than government. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete