I recall my experience getting my much anticipated cabbage patch doll at Christmas when I was 6 years old. I remember going to the store and picking out my doll with my mom. She figured I would want a blonde-haired, blue-eyed cabbage patch doll that looks like me. Viewing the Cabbage Patch commercials from the 1980s, it’s as if little girls were supposed to choose a doll that best resembles themselves and care for it as if it were a miniature version of themselves. Why wouldn’t a little girl want a doll that looks like them? When looking at the huge display of all kinds of cabbage patch dolls in the store, I pointed to the African American Cabbage Patch Doll and boldly stated “I want that one.” I don’t think my mother knew what to say or think. I remember her asking me, “Are you sure you want that one, Gina? Don’t you want one that looks like you?” I responded with a strong, “NO. I want that doll.” I couldn’t wait for that doll for Christmas! Thinking back to this experience, I am not sure where I got the idea of wanting an African American cabbage patch doll, since I am from European decent (Good ol’ German and Norwegian). I didn’t have any friends of different ethnicities than me and I didn’t play with other African American dolls. Looking back on it, I’m glad my mom bought me that doll. I believed it carried a strong message. Even at 6 years old, I think it taught me respect for others and encouraged me to be accepting of everyone. Dolls teach girls strong messages….girls play with dolls as if they were their own. Girls develop caring and nurturing skills that definitely help create a “motherly” instinct. With my cabbage patch dolls, I like to think it revealed my strong future values of diversity and multiculturalism.
Flash forward a few years and I soon became obsessed with Barbie! And I sure had my fair share of Barbies! Barbie family, Barbie Dog, and of course Barbie
corvette, house, and beach hotdog stand! Opposite of my multicultural Cabbage Patch Dolls, my Barbie Dolls were pretty much all blonde-haired and wore skimpy dresses and bikinis. Granted, Mattel introduced the “Doctor Barbie” and other occupations to teach girls that you can grow up to be anything. However, I think the overall message that Barbies send is the idea that you have to be tall and thin to be beautiful. Barbie's body proportions could realistically never be possible on a woman. Morever, I look at the Barbie videos with “Barbie and Friends” and I’ve noticed that
in everything Barbie, the blonde-haired Barbie is the “leader of the pack” with her other friends being less significant. Brown-haired Barbies, African American Barbies, and Asian Barbies are never featured in commercials or advertisements as much as the Blonde-haired Barbie. I often think this sends such a wrong message to young girls…..that you have to “look” a certain way to be the “leader” or “most popular.”I was also totally into “She-Ra: Princess of Power!” She-Ra is the girl version of He-Man. While I realize that She-Ra is totally wearing a tight outfit with a mini-skirt, I think it
sent a positive message. With a sword in hand, she’s ready to fight off evil and defend her land. I think this taught me that girls can be just as powerful as boys. Girls can do anything boys can do. Women can rule the country just as much as men can.Toys teach us gender roles at a very young age. When I think of boy toys …Gi-Jo, trucks, figurines, and blocks often come to mind. Toys are often marketed by gender with specifics geared towards girls or
boys. Can kitchen sets’ by gender-neutral? My sister bought my nephew a kitchen complete with food…..not sure what I thought about this at first, but glad that he’s able to experiment and play with toys that are not typical boy toys. My sister and brother-in-law are sending the message that boys can have a role in the kitchen. Perhaps he will be called a “Chef” but he should learn to cook up a great meal! Most toys do come gender-defined, so how can society still encourage girls and boys that they can grow up to be whatever they want?Dora the Explorer. My cousin is a big fan of Dora the Explorer for her children. I love Dora
. Not only does she speak Spanish and encourages multiculturalism, but she also does not do your typical “girl doll” things. She climbs trees, loves the outdoors, plays sports, and is up for adventure. She re-defines stereotypical gender roles and illustrates that girls can be as adventurous as boys! Most importantly, she’s smart and encourages girls that they can be anything they want! She is a much better alternative to Bratz Dolls or Hannah Montana.Lastly….the politics of American Girl Dolls
The latest craze among little girls is the infamous American Girl Doll. American Girls Dolls feature dolls from different eras with their story attached. The Mall of America recently opened the American Girl Doll store where you can buy accessories and get your dolls’ hair done! There are even American Girl Doll parties at the store. I do love the books and stories about history that comes with these dolls. I think they teach young girls to be appreciative of the history and the values that can influence a person’s life. However, the most recent American Girl doll is “Gwen: the Homeless Doll.” She costs $95 and the money does not go to charity, which has caused an stir. While many support the creation of this dolls, kids who are homeless could never a
fford it. The story that the dolls comes with explains that the father ran out on the family and the mother couldn’t make ends meet, so they end up living in a car. However, most single mothers do make it without ending up on the streets. (with the right kind of support) I wonder if the creators felt that as the American Girl Dolls was somehow needed to dispel myths? What kind of message does this send about fathers and fatherhood? While the company was trying to send a positive message of acceptance, perhaps they should have thought about the messages that this could send. Is it possible to create the identities of people and society through toys? Should we be teaching children about society issues through toys? To what extent? While we can try, there will always be controversy and a better alternative or approach will be argued.http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/homeless_doll_costs_hairstyling_4Ic0hC7Lacpfo8HQbczsQM
Gina,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post and account of your wanting the African American cabbage doll, needs for experiencing diversity and wanting to nuture others as a key idea in playing with dolls. I also found the new series on American dolls and history interesting, especially the homeless doll.
Do you think there could be a caretaking role for boys in playing with cars and trucks and electric trains? Taking care of a mini-city or landscape?
Best to you and have a good week,
John