Sunday, September 27, 2009

Target Dollar Bins and Abercrombie Models…what’s become of our shopping?

According to the article Transforming Social Spaces: Female Identity and the Mall,
“The mall has become the symbol of escapism, information, and socialization for Americans” (2). When considering the roles shopping malls play in our society, I can’t help but often consider them the “hub” of our communities. Everyone goes to the mall: moms, kids, pre-teens, elderly, men, and young adults. Think of Black Friday and how this has almost become more popular than Thanksgiving itself when stores open as early at 4am for costumers to snag the best deal. Yet, they are a huge part of our society and definitely impact consumers, especially teenagers. What teenage movie doesn’t have a mall scene? Considering both females and young adults within the context of shopping malls, I can’t help but think our shopping plays a strong role in socialization process of becoming American.

Shopping malls are a common identity of American life, and like the Mall of America, they have become this “mini-world” of shopping, food, and entertainment rolled into one. The Mall of America, in fact, has become more of a visitor attraction center than of an actual place many native Twin Citians choose to go shopping at. I avoid it at all costs. The only time I end up in the Mall of America are often for special events. Consider all of the special events for non-profit groups that occur at the Rotunda at the Mall of America; it is a place that many groups hold events, walks, rallies, and special displays to attract attention to their cause. Like the paper stated, groups like this gather at the mall, attempting to use the venue to ‘take an active role in seeking solutions for societal change (14).’” While social change may not occur at the mall itself, it’s a prime location to hold special events because it automatically attracts mall-goers of all ages and backgrounds. When my work considered holding a special event at the Rotunda at the Mall of America, we learned that the space books out 8-12 months in advance! It’s a wanted venue for its size, location, and audience. The mall has become common place where the public will be at. It’s definitely considered a “hub” of the community. I find it interesting that people do not socialize with others outside their immediate group, but go there with people to socialize or something to do.


Women and Target…..

As a female, I began reflecting on the several trips I make the mall with my female friends. When we want to do something we often say, “Let’s go to the mall; Let’s go shopping.” Shopping is most definitely a socializer for women. This article gave me a couple of things to consider, especially with the layout of department stores and the location of goods in a store. It was stated that mall planners saw women as “goal-orientated” and “easily distracted.” Women can be easily manipulated by displays. I have to be honest, and say that this SO true when it comes to Target. I’ve always wondered why they place the cheap stuff for a dollar in the front of the store right near the entrance….most of it is geared towards females and kids. Every time I enter Target, I have to take a stop and browse the dollar bin. Usually I end up snagging some cheap item for a $1 (some are truly cheap and some stuff is actually good!) The article explains that women are easily distracted by visuals, so I guess this holds true with the Dollar Bin at Target. Perhaps Target wants the consumer to feel that they are able to get a good deal for $1 in a time when prices are ever-increasing. I often hear my female friends say, “I can’t leave Target without spending $100!” or “I go into Target for one thing and come out with everything!” Considering the jewelry counter is right next to the women’s clothing at Target makes it easy to feel lured into the store and want to keep looking and browsing for items. Women are easily attracted to the displays and stop, which will keep them as costumers. By the time women get to the back of the store for the light bulb, they’ve made stop at the jewelry counter, clothing racks, shoe department, and home goods. They end up with a whole shopping cart full of stuff rather than just the small light bulb! The layout of department stores definitely has the woman shopper in mind.


Youth and Abercrombie……

“The theme park in which Americans spend their time is not a site for the development of individuality, but rather a training ground for more efficient consumption through the usage of psychographic information.” (4) If Mall planners hope to create a more “civic culture,” what kind of “civic” culture can be created in a mall that promotes certain images of beauty and encourages kids to form into a certain identify. Through the process of purchasing, Americans are encouraged to assume a “consumer self” identify or to identify themselves with the commodities they consume.” What messages do youth receive upon entering the mall? Models, literally, real models are sporting the latest trends in clothing. Consider the teen store Abercrombie and Fitch. To sell their clothes, they use real shirtless males, who are athletic and fit. I looked up “Abercrombie and Fitch” on youtube and instantly received many results where young teens videotapes themselves taking pictures with the Abercrombie models…..are they really selling jeans? If young people are being socialized by the mall, what kind of message do Abercrombie and Fitch promote? Perhaps they are selling the idea that the perfect look has to be a toned, athletic body that wears Abercrombie jeans. I read a recent article in which Abercrombie and Fitch stores were sued for not hiring a girl because she wore a traditional hijab. According to the stores, this did not following the “Look Policy” they have. Teens quoted in the article stated, "It's dominated by Caucasian, football-looking, blonde-hair, blue-eyed males; skinny, tall. You don't see any African-Americans, Asian-Americans, and that's the image that they're portraying and that they're looking for." What kind of message does this send? Abercrombie and Fitch Sued over head scarf If this is supposed to be “THE” popular store to shop at for teens, this sends a message that only certain teens are only wanted and accepted. Abercrombie Article





Furthermore, I considered the diversity of stores at the malls. Most stores are geared towards white, middle-class kids. “Messages and products provided in malls only address those of at least a middle-socio-economic status.” (13) When youth walk into malls, they are being bombarded with message and products that address a certain idea of “image” and “trendy.” Rarely to malls have unique individual stores for Somali clothing. So, I have a hard time believing that malls are developing individuality, but rather, discouraging it. I think it would be interesting to address this issue with students and have them consider the “diversity of malls.”



Men and shopping malls….

Whenever I see men I see in malls, they are often following their wives around or waiting for their teenager kids to finish shopping. Many times, I see men perched on a bench outside of a store waiting for their spouses…some even catching a snooze. Most men do not go to the mall to browse or hang out with their buddies…..they save that for the sports bar. The last time I was at the mall, I was at the Verizon cell phone cart in the middle of Rosedale. Every customer there was male. They were looking at all the phones, asking questions about plans, or even calling their wives asking permission to buy a new cell phone plan. Think about all the cell phone companies and gadget-type items that are sold in carts in the middle of the mall. This would totally benefit the male consumer. Most men would be attracted towards those types of items and they could browse them while waiting for their spouses or kids in the stores. Furthermore, when considering the layout of department stores, most homegoods and sporting goods are towards the back of the store for easy vehicle loading. This would agree with the idea that men come into the store for those items. Additionally, men clothing in department stores tend to be towards the back. Perhaps because they do not need the extra visuals to be lured into the stores like most women.

2 comments:

  1. Gina, what you said about MOA is completely true! Most natives to the Twin Cities avoid it as if it were the plague. I almost only go any more when I have visitors who've never been. I had the unfortunate experience to go the weekend before Thanksgiving last year. I thought I would be fine, I needed to get to a store that only MOA had. It was RIDICULOUS! No parking, people who think they own the hallways, crowds, etc. I haven't been back since.

    What surprises me is that while you're right, it is a 'mini-world' apparently real world rules don't apply. People stop in the middle of the walk way, no one says excuse me, pushing and shoving ensues...wait, that's exactly like the real world! Never mind :-)

    Do you ever wonder who decided that A&F was THE place to shop? Or why carrying their bag or Hollister is so important?

    Your comments about Target are spot on, too. Having women have to walk by their department to get to kids clothes, food, home goods, etc, definitely causes more than one woman (me included) to end up spending more money than they intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina: You did an excellent job of weaving your own experience into an analysis of this article. I especially like your look at A&F. I wasn't aware of the hijab story, but I did recently hear of them getting sued for not letting a girl go into a dressing room with her autistic sister who cannot be left alone. They said it violated their one person in the dressing rooms policy, and they were not willing to bend, even when the mom intervened. It was ruled in court discriminatory and in violattion of the American's with Disabilities Act.

    They really are putting forth the homogenous teen, aren't they? Do you think that it is a case of them creating the model for culture, or do you think it is the youth demanding that homogenous teen culture as a product, and A&F has capitalized on that desire and made a profit?

    ReplyDelete